S. African mines asked to end fatalities

Source: Xinhua| 2018-08-18 03:32:29|Editor: yan
Video PlayerClose

JOHANNESBURG, Aug. 17 (Xinhua) -- The Minerals Council of South Africa on Friday said mining fatalities in 2018 are unacceptably high and pledged to ensure workers return home safe.

This was said by the Mining Council of South Africa CEO Roger Baxter when he launched the national day of safety and health in a campaign in Johannesburg on Friday.

In 2018, a total of 58 people have died in the mining accidents as compared to the same period last year in which 51 passed on. Since 2017 there has been an increase in the number of disaster accidents related to seismic activity, fall of ground and fire incidents.

"We recognize that much more still needs to be done and the Minerals Council and its members acknowledge our responsibility to do all we can to achieve our shared goal of zero harm. We ask all industry stakeholders to share in our commitment to safety and health," said the CEO.

He stated that there should be collaboration by all stakeholders to ensure the safety and health of all mining employees.

The event was attended by the department of Mineral Resources officials, mining companies' CEOs and trade unions.

The government has on several occasions called on the mining companies to exercise safety to ensure there is no death. Trade unions have called on government to withdraw licenses for mines with high deaths.

TOP STORIES
EDITOR’S CHOICE
MOST VIEWED
EXPLORE XINHUANET
010020070750000000000000011105521373987661