A rescuer inspects the gorge after several people were killed in a flash flood in the Pollino National Park, Calabria region, Italy, Aug. 21, 2018. Three missing people have been located in the aftermath of a flash flood in southern Italy that claimed 10 lives, rescue services said Tuesday. (Xinhua/Alberto Lingria)
ROME, Aug. 21 (Xinhua) -- Three missing people have been located in the aftermath of a flash flood in southern Italy that claimed 10 lives, rescue services said Tuesday.
The flood on Monday engulfed dozens of hikers along the banks of the Raganello River, which creates a scenic gorge that is 12 km long and 400 meters deep in the Pollino National Park in the southern Calabria region.
The three had reportedly been camping some distance away from the site of the incident, where there was no cell phone coverage.
"Persons reported as missing have been tracked down in a different location," the National Firefighters Corps tweeted. "In the absence of other missing persons reports, the search continues as a precautionary measure."
The fatalities included six women and four men, Cosenza Prefecture spokeswoman Antonella Vecchio told Xinhua earlier on Tuesday.
A total of 33 people were rescued, of which 11 were hospitalized, Vecchio said.
Speaking to RAI News 24 public broadcaster, regional Civil Protection Agency chief Carlo Tansi said a "yellow alert" had been in place for most of the month of August throughout the Calabria region in the tip of Italy's boot.
A yellow alert means local authorities, such as mayors, must take steps to deal with possible floods and landslides due to a sudden rise in water levels, according to the Civil Protection Agency.
Speaking on behalf of the country, President Sergio Mattarella expressed "great sadness over this fresh tragedy, which has caused so many deaths and injuries in Pollino National Park."
In a statement, the president expressed "the utmost solidarity with the victims' families and the injured" and thanked rescuers for their "abnegation".
Environment Minister Sergio Costa visited the site of the incident, where he told reporters at the scene that he wants an investigation into "who was supposed to do what, and if it wasn't done, why it wasn't."
"Italy is tired of shedding tears over the dead, especially if these deaths are the result of negligence," Costa said.
Local prosecutors have opened a criminal probe on charges including manslaughter and misconduct in public office, ANSA Italian news agency reported.