Mexican airport operator wins bid to run Jamaican airport

Source: Xinhua| 2018-09-13 06:18:52|Editor: yan
Video PlayerClose

MEXICO CITY, Sept. 12 (Xinhua) -- Mexico's Pacific Airport Group (GAP) on Wednesday said it won the bid "to operate, modernize and expand" the Norman Manley International Airport (KIN) in Kingston, Jamaica.

The GAP, which operates 12 airports along Mexico's Pacific coast, said it was elected "provisional Preferred Bidder" of the 25-year concession deal, but there were "pending" details to be worked out with the Jamaican government.

"Operating the Kingston airport represents a strategic decision in line with our vision to expand and diversify the GAP's network of airports," the company said in a release.

In 2017, 1.6 million passengers moved through Kingston's airport, or 27 percent of Jamaica's total air passenger traffic. The island's Montego Bay International Airport (MBJ), operated by GAP, received the remaining 73 percent, according to the company.

Some 70 percent of the passenger traffic originates in the United States and Canada, 16 percent in other parts of the Caribbean and 14 percent in Europe.

The airport comprises a 10,000-square-meter terminal and 2,716-meter-long airstrip.

The GAP operates airports in major Mexican cities and resorts, including Guadalajara, Tijuana and Puerto Vallarta.