PHNOM PENH, Sept. 27 (Xinhua) -- The number of casualties from landmines and unexploded ordnances (UXOs) in Cambodia had increased in the first eight months of 2018, a Cambodian Mine Action Authority (CMAA) report showed on Thursday.
The report said during the January-August period this year, there were 43 landmine and UXO casualties, up 10 percent compared with 39 casualties over the same period last year.
"Eight people were killed, 24 injured and 11 had their limbs amputated," the report said.
Cambodia is one of the most landmine-affected countries in the world. An estimated 4 to 6 million landmines and other munitions were left over from nearly three decades of war that ended in 1998.
According to the report, from 2000 to August 2018, landmine and UXO explosions had claimed 1,444 lives and left 6,192 others wounded or limbs amputated.
CMAA said over the last 25 years, approximately 1,700 square kilometers of a total of 3,670-square-kilometer contaminated land had been demined.
CMAA's vice president Ly Thuch has said that the Southeast Asian country is seeking about 400 million U.S. dollars in aid to clear all types of mines and explosive remnants of war by 2025.