OSLO, Dec. 28 (Xinhua) -- A recent survey showed that more than 60 percent of Norwegians think that private use of fireworks should be banned in case there is publicly arranged fireworks on New Year's Eve, public broadcaster NRK reported Friday.
Kjetil Lein, vice president of the Norwegian Society of Engineers and Technologists (NITO), which conducted the survey, has for many years seen the harmful effects of fireworks, the report said.
According to him, there is a paradox that there are very strict requirements when it comes to sale of fireworks in Norway and at the same time allowing shooting fireworks by Norwegians when they are often at their fullest.
"On first New Year's Day we agree that this is just nonsense when we see eye injuries and serious personal injuries," Lein said.
"We play uninhibitedly with explosives particularly on this day. That is terribly scary, and I think it is quite strange," he said, adding that fireworks do not belong to cities and towns where people gather in big number.
"It is a deadly substance after all. It is clear that most people enjoy it, but there are a number of tragedies and these injuries cost society a lot," Lein said.
Use of fireworks causes building, forest and grass fires every year. In addition, many people get injured in the body and face and need medical attention.
New Year's celebration last year led to 63 registered accidents, according to figures from the Directorate for Civil Protection (DSB).
A total of 36 people got injured in these accidents. Fourteen of them had injuries of fingers or hands, while nine people were injured in the head or face. Most of them were children, NRK reported.
After the ban on the private use of rockets was introduced in 2008/2009, the number of accidents has decreased.