2 killed, many sickened in food poisoning in southern India

Source: Xinhua| 2019-01-27 17:00:27|Editor: Li Xia
Video PlayerClose

NEW DELHI, Jan. 27 (Xinhua) -- At least two people were killed and over two dozen others hospitalized after consuming food offering at a Hindu temple in southern Indian state of Karnataka, officials said on Sunday.

The devotees ate the offering (a sweet dish) at Ganga Bhavani Temple in Chinthamani of Chikkaballapur district, about 73 km north of Bengaluru, the capital city of Karnataka.

"On Friday evening, people ate an offering being distributed at the temple. However, late in the night some people complained of uneasiness and vomiting, following which locals and neighbours immediately shifted them to hospitals," a local government official at deputy commissioner's office said.

On Saturday morning, a 28-year-old woman died in hospital. Later on during the night another 59-year-old woman succumbed too, the official said.

Around two dozen people who had consumed the offering were hospitalized.

"Some of them were discharged immediately, while some are still inside hospital undergoing treatment," the official added.

Reports said that police are questioning two women, one who prepared the offering, and her domestic help who had distributed it among devotees at the temple.