JAKARTA, Jan. 28 (Xinhua) -- Indonesian disaster authorities have put the number of evacuees at a total of 9,429 people after floods, landslides and whirlwinds rattled South Sulawesi province in central parts of the country last week, senior official disclosed here on Monday.
Although the floodwater has receded, but the displaced could not return home as the natural disaster rattled their houses and other infrastructure facilities in 13 districts, spokesman of national disaster management agency Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said.
"The people prefer to keep staying in evacuation centers, because their houses are severely damaged, besides, they fear of further floods or landslides," Sutopo said.
To help the emergency relief efforts, the spokesman said the provincial administration has declared a 14-day emergency status since Jan. 23 and it could be extended for another 14 days.
Search and rescue for missing persons, evacuation and improvement of infrastructure facilities as well as handling the huge number of evacuees, are among the priorities of the authorities, according Sutopo.