PRETORIA, April 1 (Xinhua) -- South African government and diplomats representing different countries in Pretoria on Monday devised a plan to combat attacks on foreign nationals in the country, said South African Minister of International Relations and Cooperation Lindiwe Sisulu.
This was after Sisulu had called for an urgent meeting with diplomats following attacks of foreign nationals in the country.
Sisulu addressed the media after meeting the diplomats, saying she assured them that South Africa is welcoming people from across the world.
"We want to assure everybody in this country that we are doing everything in our power to make sure that everybody is safe. The constitution guarantees the safety of everyone and it is our duty to do so." said Sisulu.
Sisulu emphasized that the recent attack on foreign nationals was not xenophobic but pure criminality.
South Africa's Deputy Minister of International Relations and Cooperation Luwellyn Landers echoed Sisulu's sentiments that the attack on foreigners was done by criminals.
He stated that over 300 Malawians had been displaced with many of them opting to return to their country. The attack was sparked by the killing of two South Africans by foreigners.
He said the country's Department of Home Affairs will be called in to determine the status of foreigners in the country.