KAMPALA, June 17 (Xinhua) -- The World Health Organization (WHO) Director General, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has expressed optimism over the declining trends of Ebola in two major epicenters in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
In a joint WHO and Uganda ministry of health statement issued here on Monday, Tedros said there is a seemingly declining trend in Butembo and Katwa.
"There appears to be a decline in Butembo and Katwa areas. However, in my discussions with my colleagues, we agreed to be very careful with optimism," Tedros said, noting that the Ebola situation in DRC has been unpredictable with up and down trends.
The WHO chief said Mabalako where the Ebola outbreak was first confirmed in August 2018 has once again become a hot bed of new infections.
Uganda last week announced an Ebola outbreak after three people tested positive of the disease.
"From our side, I would like to pledge that we will continue mobilizing global and regional support to control this outbreak as soon as possible. It is not clean until the outbreak in DRC is finished," said Tedros while on a visit to Uganda to assess the Ebola response efforts.
The global health body on Friday said the ongoing Ebola outbreak in DRC has not turned into a public health emergency of international concern, despite rising cases of infection for the past weeks.