ABUJA, June 26 (Xinhua) -- At least 21 Boko Haram fighters were killed in two attacks thwarted by the military earlier this week in Nigeria's northeastern state of Borno, according to defense authorities and a local government official on Wednesday.
Dozens of the terror group members launched deadly attacks in military formations in Kros Kauwa and Kekeno, both in Kukawa and Mafa local government areas of the state, but they were overwhelmed by the firepower of troops.
Abubakar Umara Zulum, acting chairman of Mafa local government area, told Xinhua that in repelling the attacks the military showed gallantry, killing 21 of them.
"Many Boko Haram fighters also fled the area with bullet wounds," Zulum said. "There was no casualty recorded on the part of the residents and normalcy has been restored in the area," he added.
In a statement made available to Xinhua by defense authorities on the thwarted attacks, the military vowed to make the troubled northeast region of Nigeria unbearable for the terrorists.
The defense statement confirmed two gun trucks of the terrorists were recovered, as well as two anti-aircraft guns and a motorcycle.
"Following sustained robust and aggressive clearance operations in recent days, troops had also recorded tremendous successes in the fight against terrorism and insurgency in the northeast," the statement said.
Boko Haram, which launched attacks in Nigeria's northeast a decade ago, is known for its agenda to maintain a virtual caliphate in the most populous African country.