S. Africa to deploy troops in Cape Town to quell gang violence

Source: Xinhua| 2019-07-12 04:24:01|Editor: Mu Xuequan
Video PlayerClose

CAPE TOWN, July 11 (Xinhua) -- South African troops will be deployed in Cape Town to help quell rising gang violence, Police Minister Bheki Cele announced on Thursday.

The South African National Defence Force (SANDF) will join in an operation in Cape Town's gang-infested areas, beginning from Friday, Cele said while delivering his department's 2019/2020 financial budget in Parliament.

The deployment of troops in Cape Town came as requested by the local communities and was approved by President Cyril Ramaphosa, the minister said.

Last weekend, at least 13 people, including six women, were shot dead in Philippi, Cape Town in what was believed to be gang-related violence, prompting calls for the deployment of troops to help quell gang violence in the city.

This situation cannot continue, Cele said at a press briefing after his budget speech.

Cele said the anti-gang operation will target regular gangs and illegal fire-arms, including people who are out on bail.

"We want the real stuff, not the pushers of the drugs," he said.

The deployment is for three months and can be renewed to ensure sustainability, according to Cele.

Cele had previously turned down repeated calls for the deployment of troops to help quell gang violence in Cape Town, saying the army was not trained to deal with civilians, and the rate of crime in the city has not reached the point that necessitates the deployment of the SANDF.

The city of Cape Town has been ravaged by gangs for a long time. Every year, dozens of people are killed in gang violence.

Late last year, Ramaphosa launched an anti-gang unit in Cape Town, but the unit has proved insufficient to stem gang violence in the city.

TOP STORIES
EDITOR’S CHOICE
MOST VIEWED
EXPLORE XINHUANET
010020070750000000000000011105091382189881