MEXICO CITY, Aug. 4 (Xinhua) -- The Mexican government plans to take legal action in the name of the Mexican victims of a mass shooting in El Paso, Texas over the weekend, a senior official said on Sunday.
Mexican Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard said on Twitter that President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador had instructed him to take legal steps "first to protect the families of the victims" and demanded measures to protect the Mexican-American community in the United States.
Six Mexicans were among the 20 people killed in the Saturday massacre at a local Walmart supermarket, while another seven Mexicans were among the 26 injured.
"Mexico ... roundly condemns this act of barbarity in which innocent Mexicans lost their lives," said Ebrard.
El Paso, which boasts an 83 percent Hispanic or Latino population according to the U.S. census data, is a popular crossing point between the United States and Mexico.
Another mass shooting took place early Sunday at a bar in Dayton, a city in the midwestern U.S. state of Ohio, killing nine people and injuring 26 others. So far, no Mexicans have been reported affected by the tragedy, said Ebrard.