TRIPOLI, Oct. 4 (Xinhua) -- Two more civilians were killed on Thursday by indiscriminate shelling in southern Tripoli, which killed a woman and her daughter earlier in the day, a local official has said.
The two additional victims were two young men -- one Libyan and one Moroccan, Osama Ali, spokesman of the Health Ministry's Emergency Department, told Xinhua.
The UN-backed government announced earlier that day that a woman and her daughter were killed and eight others injured in shelling by the east-based rebel army.
The rebel army on Wednesday said it would intensify strikes against government forces in southern Tripoli. Local residents said heavy fire and explosions were heard there.
The rebel army has been leading a military campaign since early April to take over Tripoli, home to nearly 2 million people, from the government.
The fighting so far has killed thousands of people and displaced more than 120,000 people, according to the World Health Organization.
Libya has been mired in insecurity and chaos ever since the fall of former leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2011.