ABUJA, Nov. 27 (Xinhua) -- Nigeria on Wednesday began the process for the reintegration of at least 983 former Boko Haram militants into the society after their rehabilitation at the military's "Operation Safe Corridor" in the northeastern state of Gombe.
This group of former Boko Haram militants comprised of those who had surrendered at different locations to the Nigerian troops and denounced their participation in the terror group's activities in the northeast region.
Olusegun Adeniyi, a commander of troops in that part of the country, said during a handing over ceremony in the northeastern state of Borno that the ex-militants were released to the government for an onward reunion with their families.
Among them include five women, said Adeniyi, while confirming all the 983 former militants had been cleared by the military after undergoing a 12-month rehabilitation program.
"Having been satisfied with their conduct during their detention here, and having been convinced that they no longer have links, whatsoever, with the Boko Haram, we are releasing them, believing that they will behave themselves as they start a new life," the army officer said.
According to him, during the rehabilitation program, the former militants were exposed to various skills and vocational training programs to enable them to become self-reliant and productive.
The former militants were handed over to the government of Nigeria's Borno State, after which they would be reunited with their families.