TRIPOLI, Dec. 22 (Xinhua) -- The east-based Libyan army said on Sunday that it has allowed three more days for fighters from Misurata city fighting for the UN-backed government to withdraw from Tripoli and Sirte.
The east-based army on Friday gave three days for the forces of the rival UN-backed government from the city of Misurata to withdraw from the city of Sirte and the capital Tripoli which is witnessing deadly armed conflict between the two parties.
"In response to a request by some national dignitaries from the city of Misurata and their direct contact with the General Command of the army requesting an additional deadline to persuade the city's sons to withdraw from Tripoli and Sirte, we decided to grant them an additional period of three days ending on Wednesday," said Ahmad al-Mismari, spokesman of the east-based army, in a statement.
"The army forces will not target or intercept any forces withdrawing during the specified period," the statement noted.
Al-Mismari also warned against using commercial airplanes to transport weapons from Turkey to Misurata.
Misurata, located some 200 km east of Tripoli, has the largest military force in western and central Libya. The UN-backed government relies on the forces of Misurata to fight against the east-based army.
The east-based army has been leading a military campaign since early April in and around Tripoli, attempting to take over the capital city and topple the UN-backed government.
The fighting has so far killed and injured thousands and displaced more than 120,000 civilians.