Two migrants dead in gas heater fumes poisoning in central Athens

Source: Xinhua| 2020-01-10 21:16:22|Editor: Shi Yinglun
Video PlayerClose

ATHENS, Jan. 10 (Xinhua) -- A couple of migrants was found dead in bed in their apartment in the center of Athens on Friday in a case of gas heater fumes poisoning, according to preliminary findings, Greek national news agency AMNA reported.

The couple originating from Pakistan, aged 55 and 42, were found by their three underage children aged 8, 12 and 17, who were sleeping in next rooms. The three children were examined and found in good health.

Investigators suspect a leak from the gas heater.

The family had been living in Greece for a decade, owned a store and had just returned from holidays in Pakistan, shocked neighbors told local media such as "Proto Thema" (Top Story).

Such incidents are no rare in Greece in recent years as due to high cost of heating oil and electricity, many households have turned to various heaters or fireplaces to keep warm.

On Dec. 21, 2019, four migrants were found dead in a house near Athens next to a heating stove due to carbon monoxide poisoning.