PRAGUE, Feb. 24 (Xinhua) -- The Czech Foreign Ministry on Monday issued a travel alert, advising Czechs to avoid traveling to regions in northern Italy where outbreaks of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) have occurred.
Coronavirus outbreaks have been reported lately in northern Italy, particularly in Lombardy and Veneto. The Italian government, in cooperation with the regions affected, has adopted a number of sanitary and restrictive measures, including the lockdown of 10 towns in Lombardy and one in Veneto, the ministry said.
"We recommend that you keep an eye on current information before traveling to the above-mentioned regions, as temporary measures disrupting road and train traffic may occur," said the travel alert.
In the meantime, the Ministry of Education asked schools to follow its instruction and not to travel with their pupils to northern Italy, where school excursions and skiing training are often held.
But airlines to Italy are still in operation.
Seven people have died and over 220 infected with the coronavirus in Italy. So far there has been no confirmed case in the Czech Republic.