HARARE, March 28 (Xinhua) -- The Zimbabwe government has so far released 100 million U.S. dollars to assist victims of Cyclone Idai which hit the country in mid-March.
The government initially disbursed 50 million for relief and reconstruction efforts and on Wednesday availed an additional 50 million dollars.
Government has released another 50 million dollars, making it 100 million dollars for cyclone Idai relief effort and other related support needs, the Ministry of Information, Publicity and Broadcasting Services said in a tweet on Thursday.
Following the cyclone disaster, donations have continued to pour in from across the globe, with the African Development Bank (AfDB) among the latest regional organizations to join ongoing rescue and reconstruction efforts.
A team from the bank had partnered its compatriots from the Infrastructure Development Bank of Zimbabwe (IDBZ) and was on the ground in the Cyclone affected areas of Chimanimani and Chipinge to assess the needs.
The IDBZ said it had also released 2.5 million dollars to complement ongoing efforts in restoration of infrastructure in the affected eastern and southern parts of the country.
The bank said its funds will in particular assist in construction of temporary infrastructure for accessibility to affected areas, rehabilitation and reconstruction of institutional facilities such as schools.
It will also help with rehabilitation of medical facilities, restoration of power and water infrastructure and reconstruction of damaged roads and bridges.
The cyclone hit the eastern parts of Zimbabwe, killing at least 179 people as more than 300 people are still missing.
The cyclone also caused extensive damage to infrastructure.