Thai gov't puts bounty on returnees escaping quarantine over COVID-19

Source: Xinhua| 2020-03-09 22:25:30|Editor: yhy
Video PlayerClose

BANGKOK, March 9 (Xinhua) -- Thai authorities on Monday offered a cash reward of 10,000 baht (317 U.S. dollars) to anyone who can provide information leading to location of any of 80 Thai returning workers from South Korea, who escaped quarantine on their arrival at Suvarnabhumi international airport on Saturday.

"I have asked the Immigration Bureau to provide the profiles and pictures of all the escapees to the Ministry of Public Health's Disease Control Department, so that they can be published," Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob said on Monday.

"Basically, I have asked the Ministry of Health to put up posters, completed with portraits of those fleeing the quarantine measures, to help members of the public to be vigilant of the workers," said Saksayam.

"This group of escapees should be categorized as persons under special surveillance," Saksayam said. "We will put up photos of these individuals so that the public can notify authorities. They will be awarded 10,000 baht per each capture."

According to the transport minister, 187 workers returning from South Korea have been quarantined at Sattahip naval base, including 44 who arrived at the base early Monday morning. So far, none of the passengers have shown any symptoms related to coronavirus.

Meanwhile Deputy Health Minister Satit Pitutecha said a deadline of March 10 was given to those still on the run to turn themselves in, otherwise they will face legal actions.

South Korea confirmed 96 more cases of the COVID-19 on Monday, raising the total number of infections to 7,478.

The Thai Health Ministry earlier stipulated in its Disease Control Act that should passengers, visitors or travelers escape quarantine after returning from COVID-19 high-risk countries, they will face a maximum one-year jail term and a 200,000-baht (6,365-U.S. dollar) fine.

KEY WORDS:
EXPLORE XINHUANET
010020071410000000000000011100001388598401