Floral tributes and messages for the victims of Grenfell Tower are seen in London, Britain, on June 16, 2017. London's Metropolitan Police confirmed Friday that at least 30 people died in this week's fire which swept through a residential tower block in west London. Although police did not speculate on the eventual number of fatalities, local community sources say at least 70 from Grenfell Tower are still missing, including entire families. (Xinhua/Ray Tang)
LONDON, June 16 (Xinhua) -- London's Metropolitan Police confirmed Friday that at least 30 people died in this week's fire which swept through a residential tower block in west London.
Although police did not speculate on the eventual number of fatalities, local community sources say at least 70 from Grenfell Tower are still missing, including entire families.
Grief and disbelief at seeing a tower that had been home to up to 600 people reduced to a burned-out shell turned to outrage and anger.
Queen Elizabeth and her grandson Prince William visited a community center Friday close to where the disaster happened, and spoke to people affected by the tragedy.
Prime Minister Theresa May, who ordered a public inquiry into the disaster, was criticized on Thursday for visiting the scene of the fire, but talking to officials rather than victims or survivors.
May on Friday visited some of the rescued undergoing treatment in Kensington and Chelsea Hospital.
As London Fire and Rescue Service continued their search of the building, looking for victims, the outpouring of grief mixed with anger grew.
Central to the anger is that cheaper materials may have been used in a multi-million dollar refurbishment of Grenfell Tower to keep costs down.
National media in London reported extensively Friday that it would have cost just 5,000 pounds (6,400 U.S. dollars) extra for a cladding material with better fire protection qualities.
London MP David Lammy made a demand Friday for people to be arrested for the crime of corporate manslaughter.
Lammy, whose has a friend still unaccounted for in the disaster: "Don't let them tell you it's a tragedy. It's not a tragedy, it's a monstrous crime."
Met police commander Stuart Cundy told a media briefing Friday that 30 people were known to have died, including one person who died in hospital after being rescued.
Cundy added it was difficult to say how many people were missing, but he said police did not expect to find any survivors in the search of the tower.
He said a police investigation by specialist detectives would "establish the facts to provide, as best we possible, answers for those so deeply and tragically affected by the terrible fire at Grenfell Tower."
"The investigation will look into what criminal offences may have been committed. It will be undertaken by a number of specialist detectives using expertise and specialism from other organizations where required. Based on what we know there is nothing to suggest that the fire was started deliberately," Cundy said.
Cundy said it could take a number of weeks to complete the search of the tower.
"The conditions within Grenfell Tower are particularly hazardous. As an absolute priority, what we are all doing is, as quickly and with as much dignity as we can, recovering those that are still inside. Sadly we do not expect there to be any survivors."
The leading body for town and city councils in England and Wales announced Friday it is to conduct an urgent review of fire safety in high-rise buildings in the wake of the Grenfell Tower blaze.
Lord Porter, chairman of the Local Government Association, said: "Fire risk assessments and the construction of buildings are being reviewed and double checks are being made to ensure remedial work recommended under previous assessments have been carried out."