BERLIN, May 16 (Xinhua) -- In the wake of a major robbery of several million euros from a safe deposit box in a Commerzbank branch in Munich, the Munich Public Prosecutor's Office is investigating several suspects, the authority announced on Thursday.
The suspects are in pre-trial custody and the investigations are still ongoing, said a spokesperson for the prosecutor's office.
According to a report by the German newspaper Tz, a gang, supported by a bank employee, is said to have stolen 4.62 million euros (5.17 million U.S. dollars) from the locker of a Commerzbank customer.
The Public Prosecutor's Office has not yet provided any information on the identity of the suspects.
The robbery was confirmed by a Commerzbank spokesperson, from whose branch on Munich's Promenadeplatz the money had been stolen.
The German bank's spokesperson did not specify the amount of money stolen, saying only that customers could freely dispose of their locker with PIN and card, and it was therefore uncertain how much cash was in the locker.
The incident may have been a targeted attack against one bank customer, as the perpetrators had left the other lockers untouched, the Commerzbank spokesperson suggested.
According to the Tz report, the robbery took place sometime between December 2017 and March 2018.