TOKYO, June 28 (Xinhua) -- Former Nissan Motor Co. Chairman Carlos Ghosn's first press conference since his arrest last November, initially scheduled for Friday evening, has been cancelled because of family objections, organizers said.
Ghosn was scheduled to speak at Foreign Correspondents' Club of Japan (FCCJ) in Tokyo at 9 p.m. local time Friday. But his lawyer, Junichiro Hironaka, told the club the news conference has been cancelled.
The FCCJ said it did not yet know the reasons for the family's opposition.
Ghosn had planned a press conference on April 11, after he was granted bail in March. He did not make it, however, because he was arrested for the fourth time on April 4.
Ghosn was released on bail on April 26 after being charged for a fourth time on April 22.
The former boss of Japan's leading automaker is accused of violating the financial instruments law by understating his compensation by about 7.8 billion yen (72 million U.S. dollars) over the eight years through March 2018, when his total compensation was about 17 billion yen (160 million dollars).
He is also accused of having a Nissan subsidiary in the United Arab Emirates pay 10 million dollars to a distributor in Oman between July 2017 and July last year, and transferring 5 million dollars of that to a savings account of a Lebanese investment company that Ghosn himself actually owned.
Ghosn has denied all the charges. In a video message recorded before his fourth detention, he said he was the victim of a "conspiracy" by Nissan executives.