MAPUTO, Oct. 9 (Xinhua) -- Mozambique's Ministry of Defense said Wednesday that it had shot dead a considerable number of armed men who had perpetrated murders and destruction in the northern Cabo Delgado province.
A press release said the Defense and Security Forces (FDS) carried out an operation against criminals in the Mocímboa da Praia district of the province, which resulted in annihilation of a considerable number of armed men.
The statement added that the FDS operation, still on combat alert, was carried on Monday and Tuesday night. It culminated in destruction of the evil-doers' camp and many fled.
The unknown group of armed men first launched their attacks in Mocímboa da Praia in October 2017. Since then more than 200 people were killed in sporadic attacks committed by the "extremists and insurgents", in several districts of Cabo Delgado.
Mozambican President Filipe Nyusi said on Tuesday that the armed men will be vigorously fought, as some of the attacks have become a threat to the mega-gas projects in the province.