By Oliver Trust
BERLIN, Oct. 22 (Xinhua) -- Having to replace team captain Marco Reus when facing Inter this Wednesday in the Champions League comes at the worst possible time for Borussia Dortmund. The struggling club seemed to have found its way back to success after controversial debates about the team's unpleasant ups and downs this season.
The 30-year-old German international is sidelined due to heavy flu but might return this Saturday for action in the Bundesliga.
The Blacks and Yellows diary currently seems to be packed with challenges. A delicate derby follows the clash with the Italian side against Schalke, Moenchengladbach in the German Cup, the national league duels against VfL Wolfsburg and Bayern Munich, and the re-match against Inter.
Lately, Reus stood for the upswing of the Blacks and Yellow's scoring the winning goal against Moenchengladbach. Now it is on coach Lucien Favre to find an answer to survive in Italy without his team leader.
The loss of Reus might turn the attention to Dortmund's newest delicate issue of Jadon Sancho.
The London-born striker was banned for last weekend's after he had returned late from international's with England without approval. The 19-year-old gifted but moody youngster has been charged with a fine worth 100,000 Euros as his latest failure hasn't been his only one.
Dortmund's actions are said to secure the team-spirit. Ahead of the club's announcement, Reus was informed and gave his approval. Sancho is going to return for the duel against Inter "as we get things fixed for the teams to benefit behind closed doors," Reus added.
"We had to set borders," managing director Michael Zorc commented, adding, "we have great confidence in him and his skills but had to take action for the team's steam's hygiene."
Zorc called Sancho a shooting-star trying to test out his boundaries, "but it is on us to show him the right way and count on professional behavior."
Dortmund's harsh reaction might be related to the cases of Ousmane Dembele and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang back in 2017.
The French and the Gabon strikers had been a constant source of trouble when in Dortmund's shirt. Dembele forced his move to Barcelona, going on strike when he refused to return to Dortmund. He ignored a fine and his suspension.
Aubameyang followed his example only six months later, followed by his move to Premier League side Arsenal. Borussia's club leaders such as Zorc and CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke announced to accept no more blackmailing by their footballers in the future.
The English international has been in the headlines as rumors won't end speaking about him possibly leaving his current German club as early as next summer.
"You don't need to be a prophet to foresee that Jadon won't play in our shirt the next five years," Zorc commented, indicating Sancho's near possible departure. Following three goals and six assists by the English international, the former professional said Sancho at present is "one of us and willing to deliver his best."
With Reus sidelined, coach Favre highly depends on Sancho's actions after the Swiss coach had been under fire due to a poor season start accompanied by a debate about his reluctant tactics. "The latest victory can only be a starting point for us," Zorc emphasized.