ULAN BATOR, Nov. 18 (Xinhua) -- A total of 991 people have been treated at hospitals for smoke inhalation in the capital city of Mongolia since the beginning of October, as processed coal is burned to keep warm, the country's authorities said Monday.
"A total of 991 people from 415 households in the capital city have received treatment and medical advice since Oct. 2, after showing signs of smoke inhalation due to allegedly burning processed coal to keep warm," the National Emergency Management Agency said in a statement.
On May 15, a government ban on domestic use of low-grade coal in Ulan Bator came into force, with the aim of reducing air pollution.
Since then, households in the city have been supplied with processed fuel instead of raw coal.
The reason why people have been poisoned is related to broken stoves and chimneys and wrong usage of the processed fuel, the agency said, urging residents to follow guidelines to burn the fuel.