BEIRUT, March 15 (Xinhua) -- Lebanon's Prime Minister Hassan Diab Sunday called for general mobilization until March 29 amid the outbreak of COVID-19, Al Jadeed local TV channel reported.
"This decision along with other measures previously announced will undoubtedly impact our economy like in other countries but people's health is more precious," Diab said following a meeting of the council of ministers.
The prime minister said that Lebanon has succeeded so far in slowing the spread of the virus with the exceptional measures adopted by the government.
Meanwhile, Lebanon's Information Minister Manal Abdel Samad announced the new decisions of the cabinet which include the closure of the airport and all sea, land and air facilities starting from March 18 until March 29 with the exclusion of diplomatic delegations, UNIFIL forces and shipping aircrafts.
Abdel Samad noted that the cabinet has decided to shut down public institutions, municipalities, unions, universities, public and private schools with some exceptions that will be announced by related ministries in addition to halting work in private companies and retail shops.
All businesses related to the health sector will remain operating, said Samad.
The number of COVID-19 infections in Lebanon reached 99 on Sunday while the virus claimed the lives of three people so far.