NAIROBI, April 6 (Xinhua) -- Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta has banned all movement by road, rail or air in and out of the Nairobi metropolitan area with effect from 7 p.m. on Monday.
The cessation measure was announced after the news that Kenya confirmed 16 more cases of COVID-19 on Monday, bringing the total number to 158, with two more deaths.
Kenyatta told a televised news conference in Nairobi that the move is aimed at suppressing the spread of the coronavirus to other parts of the country, noting that 82 percent of Kenya's reported 158 cases have been recorded in Nairobi.
He said 14 percent of Kenya's reported cases of COVID-19 have been in respect of residents of the three counties of Kilifi, Kwale and Mombasa.
"The cessation of movement within the Nairobi Metropolitan Area shall be for an initial containment period of 21 days, with effect from 7:00 pm on Monday, 6th April 2020," Kenyatta said.
He said the cessation of movement within the counties of Kilifi, Kwale and Mombasa shall be for an initial containment period of 21 days with effect from Wednesday.
"In the intervening period movement in and out of the counties of Kilifi, Kwale and Mombasa shall be restricted and supervised by the Kenya police," he added.
He said the additional measures do not in any way vary the existing restrictions and measures, including the daily nationwide Curfew from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. in the entire territory of Kenya.
Kenyatta noted that the decision had been arrived after the Ministry of Health declared the four counties as COVID-19 infected areas.
He, however, stated that the movement of food supplies and other cargo will continue as normal during the declared containment period through road, rail and air.
He said the country's emergency services providers, medical officers, nurses and doctors, and those who clean and cook in hospitals will face one of the greatest health challenges Kenya has ever faced.