A health worker sits inside an ambulance in Sanaa, Yemen, May 6, 2020. Yemeni pro-government health authorities on Wednesday confirmed four new cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number of recorded cases in the war-ravaged Arab country to 25. (Photo by Mohammed Mohammed/Xinhua)
ADEN, Yemen, May 6 (Xinhua) -- Yemeni pro-government health authorities on Wednesday confirmed four new cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number of recorded cases in the war-ravaged Arab country to 25.
According to a brief statement released by the country's supreme national emergency committee for COVID-19, "three new coronavirus cases were recorded in the southern province of Lahj, one of whom has died."
Another new confirmed COVID-19 case was recorded in the neighboring southern port city of Aden, according to the Yemeni committee.
The emergency committee based in Aden said that one COVID-19 patient diagnosed earlier in the country's southwestern province of Taiz had died.
The death toll in the country increased to five, and only one patient has recovered.
Elsewhere in Yemen, the Iran-allied Houthi militia on Tuesday announced recording the first case of coronavirus infection in the country's rebel-held northern provinces.
During a press conference held in the Houthi-controlled capital Sanaa, Houthis announced the first positive case of COVID-19 was a Somali national.
On May 2, the World Health Organization said Yemen's fragile health system is facing catastrophic shortages after five years of war, while COVID-19 supplies in the country are grossly insufficient.
On April 10, Yemen's pro-government authorities recorded the first case of COVID-19 in Hadramout. Enditem