ULAN BATOR, July 14 (Xinhua) -- A suspected case of bubonic plague reported in Govi-Altai province in western Mongolia has been confirmed by lab test results, the country's health ministry said Tuesday.
"The result of a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test revealed on Monday night that bubonic plague caused the death of a 15-year-old boy," Dorj Narangerel, head of public relations and surveillance department of the country's health ministry, told a press conference.
The teenager on Sunday died in Tugrug district of the province on the way to a hospital.
He was found to have eaten marmot meat with two of his friends three days before his death, according to the health ministry.
His two friends and 15 others who had contact with them have been isolated and treated at local hospitals, the official said, warning citizens not to eat marmot meat.
Bubonic plague is a bacterial disease spread by fleas living on wild rodents such as marmots. It can kill an adult in less than 24 hours if not treated in time, according to the World Health Organization. Enditem