ARUSHA, Tanzania, Feb. 27 (Xinhua) -- Two people died and eight others were hospitalized following an anthrax outbreak in northern Tanzania's district of Moshi, authorities confirmed on Wednesday.
Anna Mghwira, Kilimanjaro Regional Commissioner said eight people were receiving treatment in two different hospitals. Five were admitted at Kilema Mission Hospital in the district and three others were referred to the Kilimanjaro Christian Medical Centre in Moshi Municipality.
She said that the victims were believed to have eaten the meat of a dead cow, which died of anthrax.
The regional commissioner said that the affected districts include Moshi, Rombo and Siha.
Best Magoma, Kilimanjaro Regional Medical Officer, described the anthrax outbreak, as a highly infectious, fatal bacterial disease of mammals, especially cattle and sheep. When transmitted to humans it causes skin ulcers or a form of pneumonia.
He cautioned the public to be extra careful when buying and consuming meat following the outbreak of anthrax in the region and other parts of the country.