ABUJA, June 27 (Xinhua) -- At least 13 local residents were killed when Boko Haram raided a village in Nigeria's northeastern state of Borno recently, local officials confirmed on Thursday.
The incident, one of many unreported attacks due to lack of telecommunication facilities in that part of the country, occurred on June 15 in Bundi and Ganari communities of Gubio local government in the state, officials said.
Hundreds of villagers were displaced and rendered homeless following the attack, said Zannah Modu, the chairman of Gubio local government area told Xinhua.
Scores of the villagers had been experiencing the "most excruciating hardship since that attack," Modu said, noting "our communities had in recent times being subjected to multiple attacks by Boko Haram terrorists."
Yabawa Kolo, the chairman of the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), also said about 50 households were most affected by the attack.
Kolo said the agency, in partnership with the UN refugee agency (UNHCR) and the International Organization for Migration (IOM), had helped in mobilizing relief items to support the displaced victims.
The items, she said, included shelter materials and foodstuff.
Alexander Kishara, the UNHCR field coordinator in Borno, said the relief materials will go a long way in providing a durable solution to the displaced population.
Kishara reiterated the commitment of the humanitarian organization in partnering with the government to support victims affected by the Boko Haram attacks in the West African country.