Fire breaks out in hospital in central Zambia, no casualties

Source: Xinhua| 2017-07-18 00:20:36|Editor: yan
Video PlayerClose

LUSAKA, July 17 (Xinhua) -- A fire has swept through parts of a hospital in central Zambia's Kabwe town, although no deaths were recorded, the police said on Monday.

Central Province Police Commissioner Lombe Kamukoshi confirmed the incident to Xinhua in a telephone interview, adding that the fire affected the Changing Room of the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of Kabwe General Hospital.

The fire was caused by an over-heated heater in the room but quick action by firefighters prevented the fire from spreading to other parts of the hospital.

The fire started around 10 p.m. on Sunday and was put out around 11 p.m., she added.

A number of properties valued at 15,880 Zambian Kwacha (1,745 U.S. dollars) were destroyed in the inferno but no deaths or injuries to human beings were recorded, she said.

Residents told local media that the fire outbreak caused panic among patients and hospital staff who scampered in different directions for safety.

This is the second fire recorded this month to a public building after another fire swept through parts of a famed market in Lusaka, the country's capital used by hundreds of small traders.