Israel condemns terrorist attack in Egypt

Source: Xinhua| 2017-05-27 10:08:32|Editor: xuxin
Video PlayerClose

JERUSALEM, May 26 (Xinhua) -- Israel condemned Friday the deadly terrorist attack that killed 28 Coptic Christians in Upper Egypt's Minya governorate, sending condolences to President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and the Egyptian people.

"There is no difference between the terror of the attack in Egypt and that of attacks in other countries. Terror will be defeated more quickly if all countries work together against it," the Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in a press release.

Earlier on Friday, unknown gunmen opened fire on buses carrying Coptic Christians in the Minya governorate, about 220 km south of Cairo, killing 28 people and wounding 24.

Security sources told Xinhua that 10 gunmen in three four-wheel-drive vehicles intercepted the victims' two buses on the way to St. Samuel Monastery in the Minya governorate, and opened fire randomly at them.

About 70 Coptic Christians, who make up about 10 percent of Egypt's population of 92 million, have been killed in bomb attacks on churches in the cities of Cairo, Alexandria and Tanta since December.