BELGRADE, July 19 (Xinhua) -- No casualties are reported in the wildfires in Montenegro so far, but the system of fire prevention needs to be improved, a governmental meeting said here on Tuesday.
The meeting, chaired by Montenegrin Prime Minister Dusko Markovic, states in the press release that the "authorities acted professionally, responsibly and successfully to the series of fires that spread across the central and coastal regions, but experience so far shows that we need additional improvement of segments of the protection system and their coordination."
Montenegro's Operational Cooperation of the Security Services Bureau said the fire brigades had been busily fighting fires that struck in the Adriatic country's coastal and central regions in past several days.
The bureau also expressed its gratitude to NATO, the European Union and some countries that are willing to provide assistance.
According to the latest report from the interior ministry of Montenegro, active fires in six municipalities continued spreading across forests, villages and tourist resorts in the country, and kept threatening latest evacuations.
Wildfires have been raging along the Adriatic sea coastline and in central areas around the capital in Montenegro for weeks, while strong winds and dry greenery have been hampering efforts to control the fires.