BERLIN/BRUSSELS, Sept. 3 (Xinhua) -- European nations and organizations have strongly condemned Sunday's nuclear test by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), which runs counter to relevant UN Security Council resolutions and the goal of denuclearizing the peninsula.
DPRK on Sunday detonated a hydrogen bomb capable of being carried by an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), official media announced.
The DPRK Central Television said the test was carried out at the order of top leader Kim Jong Un, who chaired a meeting of the standing committee of the political bureau of the Workers' Party of Korea on the Korean Peninsula situation and decided to conduct the H-bomb test.
The TV report showed still photos of the document signed by Kim ordering the test, which was the sixth nuclear test by the DPRK so far.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel, in a phone call with French President Emmanuel Macron, condemned the test, calling for closed and decisive manner to respond.
The two leaders agreed that the international community has to respond to it decisively to the renewed escalation of DPRK's nuclear issue, German federal government said.
In addition to the UN Security Council, the European Union is also in demand to respond to the issue, Merkel and Macron agreed.
British Prime Minister Theresa May has described DPRK's nuclear test as "reckless" and posing an unacceptable further threat to the international community.
She said, "I discussed the serious and grave threat these dangerous and illegal actions present with President Abe in Japan this week and reiterate the call we jointly made for tougher action.
"This is now even more pressing. The international community has universally condemned this test and must come together to continue to increase the pressure on North Korea's leaders to stop their destabilizing actions," she said.
NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg strongly condemned the test.
"This is yet another flagrant violation of multiple UN Security Council Resolutions," Stoltenberg said in a statement. "NATO is concerned by Pyongyang's destabilizing pattern of behavior, which poses a threat to regional and international security."
DPRK must "immediately cease all existing nuclear and ballistic missile activities in a complete, verifiable, and irreversible manner, and re-engage in dialogue with the international community", the statement said.
In its statement, Romanian Foreign Ministry condemned in the strongest terms the nuclear test, saying the action is "a new major threat to regional, international peace and security".
The Ministry expresses "its deepest concern to the continuation of the provocative actions by the North-Korean authorities which are serious violations of the UN Security Council's resolutions and lead to the unprecedented increase of the tensions in the Korean Peninsula in the past years".
Romania will continue to actively back the international efforts on the Korean Peninsula's denuclearization through peaceful means, the ministry said in the statement.
The Norwegian government strongly condemned the test, saying that the test was "an irresponsible provocation in an already difficult and dangerous situation on the Korean peninsula and in the region".
DPRK's action is completely unacceptable and the UN Security Council and the international community must react strongly and collectively, Norwegian Foreign Minister Borge Brende said.