Several treated for carbon monoxide poisoning in Spanish hotel

Source: Xinhua| 2017-09-22 00:40:41|Editor: Mu Xuequan
Video PlayerClose

MADRID, Sept. 21 (Xinhua) -- At least eight people have been poisoned and five are reported to be in a serious condition as the result of breathing carbon monoxide at a hotel in the north of Spain, emergency services confirmed on Thursday.

The incident happened at the Hotel Campomar in Isla in the region of Cantabria on the north coast of Spain.

Authorities are investigating the reasons for the gas leak.

Those affected have been taken to the intensive care ward at the Hospital Universitario Marquez de Valdecilla in the nearby city of Santander. Others less badly affected by the gas have been taken to the Hospital Comarcal in Laredo.

Health services are evaluating the condition of 54 English schoolchildren and 40 adults from another organized excursion who were staying at the hotel.

Eight of the children are reported to have symptoms of inhaling carbon monoxide, while nine others have also been taken to hospital.

The Cantabrian Regional government has set up a space for family members of those affected, as have local authorities.