NAIROBI, Jan. 3 (Xinhua) -- World champion and Boston Marathon winner Geoffrey Kirui has cut short his holiday and started preparations for the Boston Marathon.
However, the 24-year old Kenyan confirmed that he will not be putting his name for consideration for the Commonwealth Games, but instead focus his energies on defending his title in Boston in April.
"I have to plan my season well. The Commonwealth Games are not in my plans and the allure of winning a second Boston Marathon title is what attracts me. I will be defending my crown before another world class team," Kirui said on Wednesday from Eldoret.
Despite the year not having any major championships, Kirui believes early preparations will again inspire him to have a successful campaign in 2018.
"It was the key to my success last season," he said. "I cannot afford any delay in my preparations. I have to start early following the same program I used at the beginning of last year's season. How I start my season will determine a lot of things so I have to work hard and smarter," he said.
Indeed Kirui will be a marked man unlike last season, where there were only a handful of athletes who knew his ability.
With the Boston and World marathon medals dangling down his neck, it brings with it a lot of pressure, but the Kenyan is ready to tackle his challenges this season.