HELSINKI, Jan. 24 (Xinhua) -- A court in Helsinki on Wednesday dismissed terrorism charges against three Finnish men, who had been accused of preparing to go to the Middle East as foreign fighters.
The court said it was proven the men had planned to go to Syria, but there was no sufficient proof of terrorist intentions.
However, two of the three were convicted of tax fraud and book keeping crimes committed to finance their plans to go to Syria. The two were sentenced to a year and six months and five months, both on probation.
The court said there was more proof about the third man but a plan to commit terrorist crimes could not be found. Finnish law does not criminalize the preparation of war crimes.
There is a warrant for a fourth man and he has been detained in absence. Finnish national broadcaster Yle said he is probably in Syria.
The trial began last November, and the prosecution said the three men had purchased a Landrover car and equipment including sharpshooter clothing. They had left Finland for Syria, although they did not reach their destination.