BANGKOK, Feb. 9 (Xinhua) -- Thailand's Ministry of Tourism and Sports expects some 48 billion baht (about 1.4 billion U.S. dollars) in tourism-related revenue during the upcoming Chinese Lunar New Year season in this country.
Tourism and Sports Ministry undersecretary Pongpanu Svetarundra said on Friday that Thailand's tourist industry nationwide is expected to earn some 1.4 billion U.S. dollars during the Chinese Lunar New Year which will get started from February 15 until February 21.
An estimated 888,472 foreign tourists are expected to visit Thailand during the Chinese Lunar New Year season. Of that projected total, some 304,192 will come from the Chinese mainland, given more direct flights from China to Thailand, according to Pongpanu.
That would account for a 20 percent increase from the same period last year.
He said about 90 percent of the Chinese Lunar New Year visitors are expected at major tourist destinations such as Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket and Chiang Mai whereas the other 10 percent would visit other famous spots including Chiang Rai and Koh Samui island.