TRIPOLI, March 7 (Xinhua) -- Libya's National Human Rights Commission Tuesday condemned the renewed tribal clashes in the southern city of Sabha that killed three civilians and wounded 12 others.
"The Commission condemns these armed clashes and the escalation of violence between the tribes of Awlad Sulaiman and Tabu in the city of Sabha," Ahmed Abdul-Hakim Hamza, the commission's rapporteur told Xinhua Tuesday, added that "three children between the ages of seven to 10 years" were among the casualties.
"The targeting of civilians, neighborhoods, and medical facilities constitutes a full war crime in violation of international humanitarian law," Hamza said.
Hamza said the commission is concerned about the worsening humanitarian and living conditions in Sabha due to the continued escalation of tribal violence, as well as the deteriorating medical conditions for a lack of emergency medical equipment and supplies in Sabha Medical Center.
Located some 800 km southwest of the capital Tripoli, Sabha has been witnessing violent rival tribe clashes for days, which have forced hundreds of people to flee their homes. According to Sabha Medical Center, the clashes have killed 10 civilians and wounded 25 so far.
Libya's UN-backed Prime Minister Fayez Serraj on Sunday announced the formation of a military force to secure southern Libya.