PARIS, April 14 (Xinhua) -- French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian on Saturday announced that strikes targeting Syria's chemical arsenal had met their target, adding further strikes could be planned if the Syrian government would cross again the "red lines."
"The objective is to destroy clandestine chemical arsenal of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's regime. Therein, the goal is reached," Le Drian told BFMTV news channel.
"A good part of the Syrian regime's chemical arsenal has been destroyed. If, eventually, the red lines would be crossed again, there would be new strikes. But, I think the lesson was understood," he added.
Earlier on Saturday, French President Emmanuel Macron gave the green light to the French military to join the United States and Britain in an operation targeting "clandestine chemical arsenal" in Syria.
The decision came after Syrian government forces allegedly used chemical weapons against rebels in Douma, a town near Damascus, earlier this month.
The Syrian government has denied the allegation and called the reports fake news used by the West to justify its attacks on Syria.
Macron said the strikes had been limited so far to Syria's chemical weapons facilities, ruling out any confrontation with Russia and Iran, key allies of al-Assad.
Despite a spat over Syria and risk of escalation in the region, Macron maintained a scheduled visit to Russia late May to participate the Saint Petersburg International Economic Forum, according to the French top diplomat.