SANAA, June 11 (Xinhua) -- Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said it has "temporarily" suspended operations in northern Yemen after an airstrike on Monday hit a cholera treatment center it runs in a rebel-held district.
"A newly constructed cholera treatment center run by MSF in Abs (a district in Yemen's northwestern province of Hajjah), was hit by an airstrike Monday at approximately 5:40 a.m. local time," the international medical humanitarian organization said in a statement.
"No staff or patients were killed or injured. The facility had not yet received any cholera patients and was empty," said the statement on its website. "MSF has temporarily frozen its activities in Abs until the safety of its staff and patients is guaranteed."
The coalition has recently escalated its bombing campaign since United Nations envoy to Yemen Martin Griffiths left the rebel-held capital Sanaa last week following three days of talks to persuade Houthi officials to resume peace talks.
In late 2014, Houthis seized the capital Sanaa and much of the country's north, including Hodeidah, forcing the internationally recognized government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi into exile.
The coalition aims to recapture strategic Hodeidah, which is the only route for aid and commercial supplies to the country's north, and force Houthis to surrender.