UNITED NATIONS, July 2 (Xinhua) -- An estimated 270,000 people have been displaced as a result of military operations in Dara'a government of southwestern Syria, the largest displacement in the area since 2011 when the conflict began, a UN spokesperson said Monday.
Over the weekend, the UN received reports that intense air and ground-based strikes continued in multiple areas in Dara'a governorate, resulting in the death and injury of civilians and the immense displacement, said Farhan Haq at a regular press briefing.
A UN cross-border convoy has been on standby at the Ramtha border crossing, between Syria and Jordan, since June 27 and is waiting for the security situation to get better to resume.
Meanwhile, as of July 1, at the Nasib/Jaber border crossing also between the two neighbors, the UN is providing aid to the Jordanian side in coordination with local authorities, which is then transported by Syrian partners to the Syrian side for distribution, according to Haq.
UN special envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura has recently warned that a full-scale battle in the country's previously calm southwest could engulf an area and population the size of eastern Ghouta and Aleppo combined.