RIO DE JANEIRO, Nov. 11 (Xinhua) -- The death toll from a deadly landslide in greater Rio de Janeiro climbed to 14 as rescue workers continued to recover bodies buried under the mud, authorities said on Sunday.
Workers successfully pulled 11 people out alive, civil defense officials said.
Among the dead are three minors and two elderly people. Heavy rains that dislodged a giant boulder crushed at least nine homes, causing the casualties.
Nearly 200 firefighters and civil defense workers have been working to clear away debris.
The landslide, which occurred in predawn hours when most residents were still sleeping, affected the neighborhood of Morro da Boa Esperanca in Niteroi, a town that lies within Rio's metropolitan area.
The area is vulnerable to such disasters, and another 25 homes have been evacuated in case of a second landslide.
"It rained a lot in the past two days. Niteroi was in a state of alert ... and the communities had been warned of the situation, along with a recommendation to seek safety," Roberto Robadey, local secretary of civil defense, said.