KABUL, Feb. 5 (Xinhua) -- The Afghan government has launched coupon distribution to the families of security personnel who lost their lives in fighting against militant groups, the Presidential Palace said Tuesday in a statement.
"The plan was initiated by President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani," the statement said.
The program aimed to assist the families of the martyred security forces, President Ghani told a ceremony in the Presidential Palace attended, among others, by Afghan First Lady Rula Ghani, cabinet ministers and family members of the security forces martyrs.
"The plan was not funded by foreign donors but was of the national savings managed by the president," according to the statement.
"Each eligible family of the martyred security personnel would receive the coupon after completion of biometric process," the statement added.
The fund has been secured from last year's 18.5 billion afghani (more than 248 million U.S. dollars) saved in the procurement contracts, said the statement.