ADEN, Yemen, March 10 (Xinhua) -- Forces loyal to Yemen's internationally-backed government thwarted an attack launched by the Houthi rebels in the Red Sea port city of Hodeidah on Sunday, killing 13 rebels, a military official told Xinhua.
"Scores of Houthi fighters launched an attack against government forces in Durayhmi district of Hodeidah, sparking fierce clashes in the deserted area," the Hodeidah-based official said on condition of anonymity.
"Well-armed government forces backed by local fighters managed to thwart the Houthi attack, leaving 13 rebels killed and several others injured," the source added.
The Houthis fighters wanted to carry out simultaneous attacks to besiege government forces in Durayhmi district, he revealed.
The incident came just hours after intense armed confrontations in various areas of Hodeidah including the 50th Street and Yemen Mobile roundabout, causing casualties from both warring sides.
The warring forces have so far failed to withdraw from Hodeidah and its southern districts in accordance with the UN-sponsored Stockholm Agreement reached last December.
The deal was aimed to avert an all-out offensive on the lifeline port city, which is the key entry of Yemen's most commercial imports and international aid.
The Saudi-led military coalition intervened in Yemen in March 2015 to support the government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi after Houthi rebels forced him into exile and seized much of the country's north, including the capital Sanaa and Hodeidah.
The four-year civil war has killed more than 10,000 people, mostly civilians, displaced 3 million others, and pushed the country to the brink of famine.