BEIJING, March 19 (Xinhua) -- China announced Tuesday that it has phased out a total of 280,000 tonnes of ozone-depleting substances (ODS) scheduled in the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer.
Guo Jing, a senior official from the Ministry of Ecology and Environment, said the country will continue to fulfill its promise and strengthen its supervision on the controlled substances to achieve its goal.
"The Chinese government has no tolerance for any illegal production of ODS," said Guo, adding that China launched a special campaign nationwide to crack down on such offenses last year.
In 2018, China destroyed two manufacturing spots that illegally produced CFC-11, an ODS commonly used for products such as air conditioners, and 10 companies were punished.
China signed the protocol in 1991 and the country's reduction of ODS accounts for over half of the total reduction by developing countries.