Pro-gov't forces say capture 300 Houthi rebels in southern Yemen

Source: Xinhua| 2019-04-28 21:20:27|Editor: Xiaoxia
Video PlayerClose

ADEN, Yemen, April 28 (Xinhua) -- Forces loyal to the Saudi-backed Yemeni government announced on Sunday that nearly 300 members of the Houthi group were captured within a week of fighting in the southern province of al-Dhalea.

Yemeni Defense Ministry's official news website said in a statement that the captured Houthi members include prominent field commanders and military officers.

The Yemeni government forces positioned on different battlefronts in the northern and western parts of al-Dhalea managed to capture the Houthi fighters.

"A number of children who have been pushed by the Iranian-backed Houthis to join the fighting ... were found among the captured rebels," the statement said.

Over the past days, the Houthi rebels continued to achieve rapid military progress into Yemen's southern provinces following fierce battles with the Saudi-backed government forces.

Last week, scores of Houthi fighters launched a series of intense armed attacks on the positions of government forces and succeeded in seizing the district of Al Husha in the west of al-Dhalea.

The areas in the north and west of the government-controlled province of al-Dhalea have been witnessing continuous fighting between government forces and Houthi fighters for nearly four years.

Yemen has been plagued by a civil war since late 2014 after Houthi rebels revolted against the internationally recognized government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi.

The rebels advanced from their far northern stronghold of Saada Province toward the south, and seized control over much of the country's north including the capital Sanaa, thus triggering the civil war.

KEY WORDS:
EXPLORE XINHUANET
010020070750000000000000011100001380191611