UNITED NATIONS, April 29 (Xinhua) -- Cyclone Kenneth, the second in a month to hit the same region of southern Africa, has killed at least nine people and affected more than 59,000 others in the Comoros and Mozambique, a UN spokesman said on Monday.
Stephane Dujarric, spokesman for UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, said four people were killed, 182 injured and more than 41,000 people affected in the Comoros.
Humanitarian colleagues of the United Nations also reported at least five fatalities in Mozambique and more than 18,000 people displaced and now sheltering in accommodation centers as a result of the cyclone that hit late last week, Dujarric said. At least 3,380 houses have been destroyed and schools and health facilities have been damaged in the country.
Under-Secretary-General Mark Lowcock, the UN humanitarian chief, unlocked 13 million U.S. dollars from the Central Emergency Response Fund to provide food, shelter, health, water and sanitation assistance to people impacted both in the Comoros and Mozambique, Dujarric said. "The UN and our partners are continuing to support the government-led humanitarian responses to both Cyclone Kenneth and Cyclone Idai."
Idai slammed into Mozambique's mid-section near Beira, one of the country's four largest cities, roared across to Zimbabwe, its outer winds and rain also flooding southern Malawi. The area is still recovering from that disaster.
Kenneth targeted Mozambique's northern province of Cabo Delgado.