CARACAS, Aug. 7 (Xinhua) -- The Venezuelan government said Wednesday night that it has decided not to send an official delegation to Barbados for the next round of dialogue with the Venezuelan opposition, due to the latest sanctions announced by the U.S. government against the country.
The talks were originally scheduled for Thursday and Friday.
"President Nicolas Maduro has decided not to send the Venezuelan delegation to this opportunity due to the severe and brutal aggression perpetrated continuously and insidiously by the Trump administration against Venezuela," said Jorge Rodriguez, head of the government delegation to the talks, in a statement published Wednesday night.
The annoucement came a day after the U.S. decision to freeze the Venezuelan government assets in the United States or under the U.S. control.
While criticising the opposition leader Juan Guaido of "supporting the injurious actions that are against the sovereignty of our country and the most fundamental human rights of its people," the Venezuelan government will review the mechanism of its talks with the opposition so that "its continuation could be truly effective and harmonious with the interests of our people."
The two camps started talks in May in Oslo, under the auspices of Norway. They have so far had three rounds of talks, with the latest round moved to the Caribbean island of Barbados.